Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of returning to one of my alma maters, Washington and Lee University School of Law. But the greatest treasure in my short return was reuniting with the town. Lexington, Virginia is a slice of Americana. Few towns can capture the comfort, class, hospitality, and coziness that Lexington nails.
It had been nearly a decade since I had graduated, so a few aspects of the town had changed. But so much stayed the same. I was proud to share my home of three years with my husband, and he thoroughly enjoyed our time. We visited the solitary bar and grill, infamous to those who have attended the University, School of Law or VMI: The Palms. The quaint town shops were just as charming as I had remembered them, and we found a lovely book for our daughter as well as some art work for our home.
Where a bakery once operated, however, now was a restaurant: Bistro on Main. What a charming barkeep they have working there! Montye is a treasure on his own. If you are ever in Lexington, make a point to visit him. I learned that the restaurant was coming up on its 10th anniversary so I must have just missed out on its fine dining. The food was so delightful that we ate there both nights.
My husband also was pleased with our selection of lodging, "502 S. Main", a Bed and Breakfast not yet one year old. Again, if you are ever in town, and they have a vacancy, I recommend visiting Russ and Mary Stuart. Genuine hospitality flows from this married couple. The breakfast was exquisite, as was the conversation. I rarely sleep well outside of my home, but I slept soundly there. All the comforts of home with just the right amount of something extra special.
I thought my husband would be intrigued to learn where I had lived for three years as living in Lexington has molded a part of "me" in more ways than I can explain. Ironically, he was more captivated by the birthplace of my feline daughter, Penelope, than anything else! He even took video footage of where I first met her.
The story of Penelope's arrival in my life has been told many times over. He knew that I found her by a creek on Halloween night. He knew that I had been attired as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, complete with faux weapons, and that my best friend from law school was with me, dressed as Little Red Riding Hood. But what I may have left out was that our beloved elder cat wasn't found by a creek in the woods, but by a creek in a neighborhood.
Oops... :)
Whether she was someone else's cat we will never know, but to this day I know I made the right decision to adopt her considering her condition. Malnourished, dirty, and later after taking her to a local vet I learned she had bronchitis as well as pneumonia, Penelope was not expected to live. The vet had recommended that she be put down as the cost to provide her adequate care to restore her health would be quite expensive. Something told me that provenance placed this cat in my path that night. I knew without being able to explain it to my friends that she and I were connected, destined for one another.
Penelope turned 10 on July 1st of this year and soon, we will celebrate a decade of companionship. As I type this blog, she is sharing my desk chair. Most of my writing or work in my office involves her ever present purring. Penelope physically went to hell and back when I found her, but when emotionally I suffered the same ordeal a few years ago, Penelope remained at my side. She has brought more joy to my life than ever could be expressed. I thank Lexington for bringing us together, after thanking God.
The most fascinating part of my return to Lexington was the Stonewall Jackson cemetery. I may have briefly visited it on one occasion during my three years in town. I visited it a half dozen times over two and a half days.
I've always been fascinated with history and much history can be found on 17th, 18th, and 19th century gravestones. A major setting in the novel I am presently writing on centers around a southern cemetery and Stonewall's did not disappoint for research purposes. Many of the gravestones and monuments were uniquely crafted. The landscape was peppered generously with squirrels, but also a flock of three crows. If you believe in omens, that is typically a bad sign to see a crow near graves.
It was sad to leave, but I know we will return. I look forward to sharing with my daughter this wonderful town when she is old enough to appreciate it. Much like me as she has gotten older, I sense someday she will look for a small college town rather than one in a big city.
No comments:
Post a Comment